Village Craftsmen…49 years offering fine quality American handcrafts on Ocracoke Island.

Amy Howard & Philip Howard
Amy Howard, Manager and Philip Howard, owner

Lawton Howard was born on Ocracoke Island October 10, 1911. When he was a teenager he moved north, like so many other young island men, to work with the US Army Corps of Engineers on dredges and tugboats on the Delaware River. Lawton married in Philadelphia, and he and his wife Connie raised their two sons up north.  But every summer they spent their vacation on the island. Lawton always vowed to move “back home” to Ocracoke after retirement. In 1966 Lawton and his wife Connie returned permanently to live in the modest home they had built in 1954 on Howard Street. Their sons Lawton, Jr. and Philip visited often.

After graduating from Gettysburg College, Philip enrolled in Lutheran Theological Seminary, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. In 1968, as part of his training, he moved to north central Montana with his wife, Julie, and one-year-old son, Stefen Olaf. There he served as student intern at Our Savior’s Lutheran Mission on Rocky Boy’s Indian Reservation, home to a small band of Chippewa and Cree Indians. On the reservation he met and befriended many tribal members including Yellow Bird, an accomplished translator; Four Souls, son of recently deceased Chief Little Bear; and Raining Bird, the tribal medicine man.

Fascinated by Native American culture and traditions, Philip and Julie embarked on a project to construct a traditional 18’ Cree tipi, complete with lodgepole pine poles harvested from the Bear Paw Mountains on the reservation. The tipi served as a camping tent, and they pitched it with others at the annual Rocky Boy’s Sun Dance.

By spring, 1969, it was time to leave the reservation. Philip and Julie and their son packed up their belongings and moved to Maryland. Back east, having decided to leave the seminary, Philip secured a position at Sandy Spring Friends School in Maryland, teaching English and Math. Julie served as girls’ dormitory house mother. The tipi continued to be used for occasional camping trips, especially during the summer months when school was not in session. In August of 1970 the Howard family brought their tipi to Ocracoke Island when they visited Philip’s parents.

Recognizing the growing tourist industry on Ocracoke Island, Philip and Julie decided to set up their tipi in Lawton and Connie’s side yard, and used it to display and sell some of Philip’s original pen and ink sketches of island scenes, as well as a small assortment of other craft items, including Julie’s beadwork inspired by her time on the reservation.

Tipi
The Tipi in 1970

The Tipi Shop (sometimes spelled Teepee Shop), as the fledgling business was unimaginatively named, operated for three weeks in the summer of 1970. Sales were modest, but encouraging. Total income for the third week amounted to almost $100, a tidy sum for 1970.  That was enough to convince Philip and Julie to return the next two summers for a full three months, and with an expanded inventory. In May, 1972, the Howard’s second child, Amy Janette, was born. She accompanied her parents and brother to Ocracoke that summer, as the family became permanent island residents.

By 1971 the Tipi Shop was selling woven sashes, leather belts, macramé chokers, spoon rings, tin ware, hand-made toys and games, and an assortment of sterling silver jewelry. In that summer a small parcel of land adjacent to Lawton and Connie’s lot on Howard Street, which had been the site of Philip’s great-aunt’s garden, was offered for sale. The Howards scraped together the $2,000 purchase price by cashing in a life insurance policy, and bought the land. At the end of the 1971-1972 school year they resigned their positions in Maryland, and spent the early fall clearing their newly-acquired property. Philip, who had learned the carpentry trade in summer jobs, and with much help from his parents, spent the winter months constructing the building that would become an iconic presence on historic Howard Street. It was just a basic 28’ X 32’ frame building with plywood siding, a shed dormer, and a small landing with wooden steps. The interior front half of the downstairs was sided in 1” X 6” rustic pine boards to serve as retail space. The back half and upstairs, though not finished, became living quarters, as well as storage area and workshop.

Philip, Julie, Stefen, & Amy Howard at Village Craftsmen, 1973
Philip, Julie, Stefen, & Amy Howard at Village Craftsmen, 1973

Although the tipi was set up in the side yard one last summer, in 1973 the business name was changed to Village Craftsmen in order to better describe the Howards’ commitment to offering only quality US-made handcrafts, including Philip’s artwork.

In 1974 Philip’s father, Lawton, an accomplished woodworker, began making handsome replicas of a caned platform rocker that Capt. James Howard, Philip’s great-grandfather and keeper of the US Life-Saving Station, had salvaged from a wrecked ship in 1899. Two dozen chairs, all signed and numbered, were sold for $250 each.

Lawton Howard & Chairs
Lawton Howard and his Chairs, 1974

Every year saw the addition of more quality American-made handcrafts, including duck carvings by local artists, weavings, wood turnings, jewelry, and a growing selection of regional and North Carolina pottery. Wooden folk toys, especially “limber jacks,” as well as spoon rings fashioned by Philip, remained popular items throughout the 1970s and 1980s. For a few years in the late 1970s the Howards also traded in antiques. Eventually, the Village Craftsmen remained open 9 to 10 months of the year, from Easter through Christmas.

A near tragedy occurred in July, 1978, when the building was struck by lightning during a violent thunderstorm. Several fires broke out in the attic. They were quickly extinguished, but not before causing considerable smoke damage. Another lightning strike occurred a few years later, causing no damage, but prompting the Howards to install lightning rods on the building.

By 1980 vertical board & batten cypress siding added a finishing touch to the exterior of the building. During the same period much of the rest of the interior was completed. In 1986, with the help of Stefen and National Park Ranger Jay Robinson, Philip and Lawton added another two rooms to the northwest side of the building, along with a full front porch and handicap ramp. The dividing wall downstairs was removed, allowing conversion of the living quarters to retail space. In 1986 -1987 Stefen operated a small bookstore in the new section.

Village Craftsmen Addition Construction, 1986
Village Craftsmen Addition Construction, 1986

By this time Village Craftsmen was well established as one of the premier craft galleries on the Outer Banks. In 1990, in response to requests about shipping items to customers who were unable to visit the island in person, Village Craftsmen printed a small catalog that featured plant rooters, pottery oil lamps, cutting boards, woven purses, and mugs. The following years’ mail order catalogs were more sophisticated, and offered a selection of handmade wooden boxes, musical instruments, kitchen items, and wooden folk toys.

In 1994 Philip, now the sole owner of Village Craftsmen, purchased a small strip of an adjoining property that included a sizeable outbuilding which served as a much-needed storage area. The outbuilding was then attached to the existing building with a corridor that included ample space for a new office and a workroom. Philip’s cousin, Dallie Howard Turner, who joined the Village Craftsmen in 1990, and Jude Brown, who began working there in 1993, made up the core of the staff, while various college students and other summer employees, including Philip and Julie’s now adult son and daughter, shared their energy and creativity.

Village Craftsmen published their last print catalog in 2000, with 16 pages of pottery, jewelry, kitchen items, carvings, baskets, musical instruments, watches, and handmade soaps. In 2001 a web site, complete with an on-line store featuring a much larger assortment of items, replaced the printed catalog.

Business continued to improve as Village Craftsmen regularly added additional quality American handcrafts to their inventory. In spite of some pressure to expand to a larger building, or even to establish a second gallery, Philip decided to concentrate his energy on Village Craftsmen’s site on picturesque and historic Howard Street.  Nevertheless, in 2005, after 35 years of personally operating the gallery, Philip made the decision to hire Jude Brown as manager. Philip remained owner and advisor, but stepped away from daily involvement at the gallery. Under Jude’s dedicated oversight Village Craftsmen continued to thrive.

When Jude retired at the end of 2016 Philip’s daughter Amy assumed the role of manager. She maintained the commitment to quality American handcrafts and friendly service, and immediately infused the business with her unique enthusiasm and creative energy. When the gallery opened for the 48th season in March, 2017, customers were greeted with a more open and expansive display area stocked with an even larger selection of pottery, glassware, wooden items, and other fine crafts.

Amy, who had earlier served as administrator of the Ocracoke Preservation Society Museum brought with her a broad knowledge of Ocracoke Island history, culture, and traditions. Philip, who had continued to publish his daily Ocracoke Journal and monthly Ocracoke Newsletter, began spending more time at the counter, greeting customers, working the cash register, and answering questions about island history. Other family and friends work or volunteer at the gallery, offering a friendly welcome to everyone who visits Village Craftsmen.

Village Craftsmen, 2018
Village Craftsmen, 2018

In the fall of 2017 Amy’s brother Stefen, and Amy’s husband David, worked together to create a more streamlined website that included an up-to-date on-line catalog and links to Philip’s daily Ocracoke Journal and monthly Ocracoke Newsletter.

Amy, David, Philip, Stefen, and the entire staff of Village Craftsmen invite you to visit them at their gallery on Howard Street. A special treat often awaits you on Friday afternoons, when Amy’s husband, Fiddler Dave, brings homemade fig cake to share with customers.

(0)

For nearly 30 years Ocracoke Preservation Society has been working to preserve island culture, documents, artifacts, stories, and historic properties. The economic recession of the last few years has impacted Ocracoke and the Preservation Society. In early 2011 the executive committee began new fund raising programs to help ensure that OPS continues its mission. You can help by making a donation today. Every contribution, small or large, will go towards preserving our unique island heritage. To donate, please click here, or on the photo above.

Continue reading to learn more about OPS history, and our current programs.

The invitation read “You are cordially invited to a FREE CLAM CHOWDER SUPPER on Friday, March 25 [1983] at 6:30 p.m. in the Methodist Church Rec. Hall.”

There’s no question about it. Offer free clam chowder, especially the traditional Ocracoke variety prepared by Clinton Gaskill (1906-1999), Ocracoke native, commercial fisherman and popular cook, and be prepared for an enthusiastic response. About 50 people came out that night to formally organize what would become the Ocracoke Preservation Society.

Several weeks prior to that evening a handful of citizens, Anita Fletcher, Linda Scarborough, David and Sherrill Senseney, and Philip and Julia Howard met in the Senseney’s living room to talk about forming an organization to preserve our island’s rich and colorful heritage.

Since the establishment of a World War II Navy base on the island, and the rapid changes following the war, particularly the construction of a hard surface road from the village to Hatteras Inlet, and the institution of state operated ferries across the inlet, many of the defining characteristics of Ocracoke seemed threatened.

History and stories were in danger of being forgotten. There was no central location for the storage and preservation of significant historic documents (e.g. deeds, wills, and maps). Important and noteworthy artifacts were scattered among various families, many in far away places. And, perhaps most troubling, a number of classic island homes were being demolished to make room for modern motels and other businesses, as well as private residences.

The goals of those first few islanders were ambitious. And they knew they would need the help, cooperation, and energy of the entire community.

After dinner at the organizational meeting on March 25 the committee presented their proposed by-laws. As summarized in the society’s first newsletter in April of 1983 “the purpose of the organization shall be to encourage, assist and participate in identification, preservation, and restoration of significant Ocracoke Island structures, buildings, districts, and objects of local interest; to facilitate and encourage public participation in preservation programs and activities;  to purchase, accept, hold, and administer gifts of money, securities, and other property; [and] to operate as a non-profit organization….”

The original officers of the Ocracoke Preservation Society were:

  • President, David Esham
  • Vice President, Calvin O’Neal
  • Secretary, Anita Fletcher
  • Treasurer, Linda Scarborough
  • Education Director, David Senseney
  • Member at Large, Blanche Styron
  • Publicity Director, Kay Riddick
  • Trustees (who “shall meet with the Executive Committee to discuss and have equal vote in determining the acquisition of any real estate or building or any object with value of $100 or more”), Ernest Cutler, Alex Eley, Elsie Garrish, Philip Howard, Ronald O’Neal, Jr;, John Ivey Wells, Larry Williams, and Belle Willis.

Eager to get started, the executive committee met on March 29 to begin planning activities. The most popular idea at the general meeting was to create an Ocracoke Museum. Since this was not immediately possible, the committee decided to sponsor “Ocracoke History Days” on July 2, 3, & 4. Larry Williams was appointed to direct this activity, assisted by Calvin O’Neal.

Larry and Calvin presented the following list of suggested exhibits to a meeting held on April 5:

  • Coast Guard
  • Shipwrecks and Ship Models
  • Hurricanes and Weather
  • Fishing and Hunting
  • Quilting, Crocheting, Knitting, etc.
  • World War I and World War II
  • Maps, Deeds, and Wills
  • Horse, Cattle, and Sheep Penning
  • Miscellaneous Antiques
  • Lectures and Slides
  • Midwifery, Cures, and Ocracoke Medicines
  • Music
  • Church Happenings
  • Early Travel and Hotels

With the help of dozens of residents an impressive array of artifacts, photographs, and documents were collected, organized, and made ready for display at Berkley Castle. For three days in July the Castle became a temporary museum visited by hundreds of islanders and visitors. It was such a success that a similar event was organized and held the following year.

In 1988 a developer purchased the historic David and Alice Wahab Williams house and property on the corner of NC Highway 12 and British Cemetery Road. When island residents learned of the plan to demolish the house in order to make room for a modern brick motel, members of the Preservation Society saw their opportunity to at least save an historic home and, at the same time, establish their long-hoped-for museum.

In negotiations with the National Park Service, the Preservation Society was successful in obtaining a long term lease on property near the Visitors Center and public docks. In 1989 the David and Alice Williams house was donated to the Society, moved to its present location and restored.

Moving the Capt. David & Alice Williams House:

This traditional two-story house was built by David Williams (1858-1938), the first Chief of the U.S. Coast Guard station in Ocracoke village, around the turn of the twentieth century. The property was purchased by David Williams for $10.00 from William Howard Wahab, father of Captain Dave’s wife, Alice Wahab (1865-1953). Alice’s brother, James Hatton Wahab (1861-1913), served in the US Life Saving Service (the predecessor of the US Coast Guard) at Cedar Hammock, just north of Hatteras Inlet.

The David and Alice Williams house is a substantial four-square house with a deep hip roof, exterior chimneys, sawnwork eave brackets, and a hipped front porch with original boxed posts, sawnwork spandrels, two-over-two sashes, one-story rear ell with recessed porch, and a central hall floor plan. It is a contributing structure in the Ocracoke Historic District.

The OPS Museum, Gift Shop, & Library:

Soon after acquisition, the ground floor rooms of the Williams house were converted to the OPS museum which opened its doors to the public in June of 1992.  The house and surrounding Ocracoke Historic District are on the National Register of Historic Places.

Three rooms on the ground floor are furnished in a fashion typical of island homes of the early twentieth century. The parlor includes an antique pump organ, easy chair, cast iron wood stove, and storage cabinets. This room is also used for rotating displays. At the time of this writing the parlor contains photographs, artifacts, and historical information about Muzel Bryant (1904-2008) and her family, the only multi-generational post-Civil War black family to call Ocracoke home.

An antique bed, often covered with a hand stitched quilt, is the focal point of the downstairs bedroom. A child’s cradle, infant clothes, wash stand with pitcher and bowl, dresser, cabinets, portrait photographs, and various small artifacts provide a glimpse into island life several generations ago.

The OPS Bedroom:

In the rear ell, the Williams house kitchen reminds visitors of daily life before Ocracoke had a municipal water system. A cast iron pitcher pump, at one time connected to the fresh water cistern, has a prominent place beside the porcelain sink. A three burner kerosene stove with removable oven and primitive toaster sits against one wall. An early refrigerator stands on the opposite wall. Shelves adorned with period kitchen utensils and other items round out the displays. Fragments of popular linoleum designs cover portions of the wooden floor.

The OPS Kitchen:

Other rooms and the hallway on the ground floor are used for rotating displays. These have included photography exhibits, maritime history exhibits, WWII displays, seashell and carved bird collections, and a video celebrating Ocracoke Island’s unique brogue.

A small gift shop is housed in another downstairs room. There visitors can purchase numerous books documenting island history and culture, audio CDs of Ocracoke musicians, local cookbooks, art, prints, and note cards, as well as quilt squares and other items related to island life. The museum is open most of the year, 10 am – 4 pm (Monday through Friday), and 11 am – 4 pm (Saturday).

The second floor of the Williams house contains a research library and administrative offices. The research library has a growing number of historical, genealogical, photographic, and other resources relevant to Ocracoke history. Here you can find out how to square dance Ocracoke style, learn more about the island’s historic 1823 lighthouse, British Cemetery, wild ponies, hurricanes, and the World War II Naval Base on Ocracoke. You might even be able to track down your ancestors if you have island roots. The research library is not open to the general public, but these materials may be viewed by prior appointment.

The OPS Research Library:

The Ocracoke Preservation Society supports a number of special committees.

The Historic District Committee’s mission is to preserve the area that has been officially identified as the Ocracoke Historic District by the United States Department of the Interior.  This area was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.  It has state-wide significance in the areas of Exploration/Settlement and Social History as well as Architecture.

When placed on the National Register, Ocracoke village historic district contained 391 resources:  232 contributing buildings, 15 contributing cemeteries, four contributing structures (the lighthouse and three resource networks: the cisterns, the picket fences, and the docks), 139 non-contributing buildings, and one non-contributing structure (a pool cabana).  The period of significance (1823-1959) extends from the earliest still existing resource (the lighthouse) to the year that Ocracoke entered the modern era.  The district spreads across approximately 200 acres (roughly half of the total area) of the village and is mostly concentrated around Silver Lake Harbor.

The Ocracoke Preservation Society Historic District House Award Plaque has been awarded annually since 1989.  A contributing structure in the Historic District is recognized for maintaining the architectural features that allowed the structure to be originally identified for placement in the Historic District.

The Society’s annual Save an Old House Award has been given to the following individuals:

  • Blanche Howard Jolliff, the Stacy Howard House, 1989
  • John Thomas & Mildred O’Neal, the Ivey & Eliza O’Neal House, 1990
  • James Barrie & Ellen Gaskill, Albert Styron’s Store, 1991
  • Keith & Isabella McDermott, the John Wilson McWilliams House, 1992
  • Fannie Pearl Fulcher, the Amasa Fulcher House, 1993
  • Jerry & Pam Sheets, the Horatio Jones Williams House, 1994
  • Ruby Garrish, the Simpson-Basnett Garrish House, 1995
  • Cape Hatteras National Park Service, the Ocracoke Lightkeeper’s Quarters, 1996
  • Andy & Mary Anderson, the Albert Styron House, 1997
  • Myra Edwards Wahab, the James Hatton Wahab House, 1998
  • Alton Ballance, the Isaac O’Neal House, 1999
  • Timothy Midgett, the Bragg-Tolson House, 2000
  • Isabella Morris, the Eliza & William I. O’Neal House, 2001
  • William Nathan & Janet Spencer, the Esther & Andrew Spencer House, 2002
  • Robert & Debbie Kornegay, the Preston & Bertha Garrish House, 2003
  • Lynn Russell, the John N. Midgette House, 2004
  • Philip Howard, the Bragg-Howard House, 2005
  • Robert Temple & Sundae Horn, the William & Lillian Jackson House, 2006
  • Michael & Paula Schramel, the James Henry Garrish House, 2007
  • John R. Mitchell, Jr., the Tilman W. O’Neal House, 2008
  • David Senseney (owner), James & Susan Paul (leasees), the Community Store, 2008 (Special award for restoration of public space inside & outside)
  • David Senseney, the Sound Front Inn/Chase-Bragg-Boos House, 2009
  • Tom & Carol Pahl, the Uriah Garrish House/Ocracoke Restoration Company, 2010

The Ocracoke Preservation Society also assists property owners in preserving land and historic buildings to protect Ocracoke’s natural resources and areas that have historic, cultural and recreational importance.

OPS offers the following preservation options to interested landowners:

  • Landowners may choose to donate property directly to OPS. This property may be given with or without specific restrictions, and donors may receive a charitable tax deduction on their income tax. Property may be historic or non-historic real estate and will be protected as designated by donors and the OPS mission guidelines.
  • Landowners may choose to place conservation easements on property and ask OPS to act as the land trust agent for that property. Valuable natural areas or scenic views, historic, or non-historic may be protected using tax incentives and a range of conservation techniques.
  • Landowners may choose a bequest to OPS as part of their will and estate planning. Bequests qualify as charitable deductions in computing inheritance taxes and ensure the preservation of land and real property for future generations.
  • Landowners may choose to negotiate with OPS for the direct sale of real estate. This would allow the seller to qualify for income tax deductions and, in turn, allow OPS to keep and maintain or use real estate for re-sale in accordance with the OPS mission.

OPS also funds and manages a number of specific projects.

The Collections Committee identifies, documents, maintains, and cares for all artifacts under its care, whether presently on public display or not.

The Building Committee sees to the ongoing maintenance and repair of the Williams house, outbuildings, fences, and other structures.

There is also a Save an Old Boat Committee which is working on preserving and repairing the historic island fishing boat “Blanche.”

Each summer, primarily in June, July, and August, OPS hosts weekly “Porch Talks” that highlight Ocracoke’s unique culture and heritage. Porch talks are held in the museum’s back yard or on one of the porches. Topics of interest have included the 1957 Ocracoke Mounted Boy Scout Troop, Traveling on the Mailboat Aleta, Shipwrecks and the US Life Saving Service, Ocracoke Island Fig Trees & Fig Preserves, Storytelling, Ocracoke Island Square Dance, and much more.

Other special events that OPS has sponsored or supported include the island’s annual July 4th celebrations, the Ocracoke Music & Storytelling Festival every June, and the OcraFolk School in October.

Four times every year OPS publishes their newsletter, “The Mullet Wrapper.”

During the summer of 2009, the Ocracoke Preservation Society received a generous bequest from the Geraldine Beveridge Estate. This bequest directed that the funds be used for “the preservation of buildings and the preservation and promotion of the history and heritage of Ocracoke Island.”  OPS determined that the best use of this bequest would be to identify endangered historically significant property, option or purchase it, and place protective covenants on the property to ensure the continuance of the historic integrity of the property. The property would then be offered for sale.

In 2010 the Society was successful in purchasing the Emma and Simon O’Neal house. Built circa 1900, the house is located at 458 Lighthouse Road, within the historic district of Ocracoke. The home is within sight of the Ocracoke Lighthouse and within walking distance of Pamlico Sound, Springer’s Point Nature Preserve and Teach’s Hole where the Pirate Blackbeard was killed in 1718.

The Emma & Simon O’Neal House:

As part of the Ocracoke National Register Historic District, the house qualifies for state and federal tax benefits.

The Emma and Simon O’Neal Home had been in the O’Neal/Gaskins family for over 100 years. The Gaskins sisters have memories of the lighthouse beaming into their bedroom window and spending many a summer evening sitting on the front porch. The home was originally built for their grandparents at the time of their marriage. The land was given to them by Emma’s family, Elijah and Elizabeth Styron.

The Emma and Simon O’Neal home is a fine example of the Ocracoke “story and a jump” style architecture with two bedrooms on the second floor and a living room and one bedroom on the first floor. The kitchen, bath and a utility room are located in a rear addition to the original house. The house has 1,056 square feet of living space.

This frame house features a steep gabled roof with an open hipped porch, turned posts and cedar shake covering. The O’Neal home has its original staircase, wooden two over two sash windows, the original corbelled chimney and original interior beadboard walls and ceilings.

The home sits on a large lot consisting of 8,963 square foot with an abundance of native vegetation including cedar and pine trees.

The house is in need of new plumbing, electrical and basic systems as well as raised footings and some TLC.

Be sure to visit the OPS museum when you are on the island. You can make a contribution anytime to help ensure the continuation of the valuable work being done by the Society. To donate, please click here, or on the photo at the top of the page.

(0)

Ocracoke’s first residents were Native Americans, members of the Wocon tribe. Some of the earliest recorded names for the island (Wococon, Wokokon) reflect this history. Eventually the “W” was dropped and spellings such as ‘Ocock’ and “Ocrcok” evolved into the present “Ocracoke.”

On November 11, 1719 John Lovick, Secretary of the Colony of North Carolina and a Deputy of the Lords Proprietors, was granted the island of Ocracoke, containing 2,110 acres, by the Crown. On or before 1733 Richard Sanderson acquired Ocracoke Island from John Lovick. He died in that same year and bequeathed the island to his son, also named Richard Sanderson. The island stayed in the Sanderson family for another 25 years. During this time Ocracoke was used chiefly for raising cattle and sheep. It was also a settlement for the pilots who transported goods to ports on the mainland. Larger vessels were unable to navigate the shallow Pamlico Sound.

Pirates continued to use the island as a temporary campsite even after the infamous Blackbeard was killed here on November 22, 1718. His quartermaster, William Howard, was not with Blackbeard and so escaped capture and/or death at that time. There is no definitive record of Howard’s whereabouts for at least another 40 years.

On July 30, 1759 a William Howard, of the Province of North Carolina, bought Ocracoke Island for £105. He was the first European owner to make his home on the island, and may already have been living here at the time of the purchase. Howard was born about 1700 and died in 1794 or 1795. Although there is no proof that William Howard the pirate was the same person as William Howard of Ocracoke, family tradition suggests that this is the case.

The Howard family has lived on Ocracoke Island continuously since at least 1759. Members of the 10th generation of the family reside here today.

For £52 10 shillings William Howard sold one half of the island to his friend John Williams, pilot, in September, 1759. Subsequently more parcels were sold and the village grew.

Before 1835 island homes and businesses were concentrated on the southern (or Lighthouse) side of Cockle Creek (now called Silver Lake). Early in its development a public road had been laid out on that side of the village. This was the only road on the island and it passed from the Sound, north towards Hatteras Inlet.

According to a legal petition of 1835 this public road “served the purpose of all the inhabitants since [its establishment], however the population of Ocracoke have greatly increased.”

The petitioners were requesting permission to lay out a public road on the North side of Cockle Creek, from “just North of Thomas Bragg’s House” to “John Pike’s garden” and then all the way to the Sound, about a half mile. Originally this was merely a foot path, but now it was to be widened and would include what became historic Howard Street.

Apparently the Northern side of Cockle Creek had, by that time, “become thickley settled and the business of the Island both Public and Private have become much divided and where formerly there was no store, there is now three.”

Howard Street, ca. 2000:

It seems that there was some strife surrounding the “passing and repassing” on this footpath, for James Taylor the attorney for the petitioners notes that “This track passes through the lands of not less than ten or twelve private persons who have it in their power at any time either for convenience, intrest or spite to stop all communication to the business part of this side of the Island and even to deprive those settled near this path from a pass way to the nabourhood church…..Unfortunately in most communitys there are to be found evil disposed persons who are always ready to meddle with every persons business but there own (which is generally neglected altogether).”

Only one of the petitioners is a Howard, one Simon Howard who signed with an “X.” This is likely the son of William Howard, Sr., who remained unmarried and died without heirs. It seems that the “evil disposed persons” referred to in the petition probably included some of my own Howard ancestors who owned property along this footpath.

Ocracoke Map, ca. 1835:

In due time, the court, recognizing the importance of a public conveyance on the North side of Cockle Creek, ordered the road to be laid out. At one time it was known as the Main Road. When the State of North Carolina paved most of the roads in the village in the mid 1950’s a section of this street was also paved (and is now that part of Highway 12 which passes in front of the Community Store and towards the Cedar Island/Swan Quarter ferry terminal). The East end of of the street was left unpaved, and remains as a privately maintained, though public, road. Shortly thereafter Stacy Howard nailed a wooden sign on a tree in front of his home that declared this road “East Howard Street,” the name by which it is still known today.

At the time Stacy posted his sign no fewer than eight families of Howards lived on or owned property along this street. In addition, numerous small Howard family cemeteries line the road, surrounded by moss-covered wooden fences and gnarled old live oak trees. Although no one knows were William Howard, Sr. is buried, his son, William, Jr., and many of his descendants are buried along Howard Street.

Until recently, Howard Street was deep, soft sand in many places. Residents would walk barefoot through the ruts left by horse-drawn carts, and later, automobiles. Today it has been stabilized with shells and gravel.

Howard Street is a North Carolina treasure. No other street has the history and charm it boasts. When visiting the island be sure to include a stroll down historic Howard Street.

(0)